Sunday 3 February 2013

A First Blog: Pike Fishing on my Canal.


So I usually go to my caravan every weekend and fish matches but I decided to stay at home this weekend because I had been invited to our northern Fur ‘n’ Feather match so it got to Saturday and as I was getting my coarse tackle sorted for Sunday when I got a short phone call saying that the match has been CANCELLED! I was absolutely gutted! So after discussing the reasons on the phone I decided I would sort my pike tackle out and go for the day after the pike dead baiting.

So I got onto my phone and rung my other mate, he automatically said YES! So I got all my gear ready and headed to bed as I was going to be up and out early. So I woke up the next morning fresh as a daisy and went and got the tackle out.
My friend’s dad cam to pick us up and we headed down to our local stretch of canal. We both got set up in quick time as we were raring to go……… Before we actually came out I checked out the moonrise times as your probably thinking that means nothing but just keep reading and find out.

So as I said the moonrise was 11:18am and it soon came to 11am and I had no bites.  But soon after around 11:10am I saw the line on my left hand rod twitching and the rod tip knocking all of a sudden as I was about to strike the alarm screamed off and I hit it a small jack off around 8lb but a nice start to the season.
So I re-baited my hooks with a ‘popped’ up sprat and re casted after taking photos and returning the pike un harmed……..

About 5 minutes later I had another screamer and again WHAM! Another pike of about 12lb what a session! (no photo) So I carried on fishing and I decided after buying some maggots for the match I decided I was going to catch a live bait or two….


After catching the live baits a nice little roach I decided that I couldn't be bothered putting my fox slider float on so I put the live bait on my running ledger rig and cast out to a far moored up boat……
After chucking out the ‘livey’ I decided to pick my pole back up and try catch some more but before I even put the rig in the water the alarm screamed off again and there I was into my third pike a nice little jack of around 4lb a little Esox but brilliant non the less.

So un hooked and returned we decided to pack up, Tom 3- Esox 0!!!!!
Tight lines Tom
Tom

3 comments: